Sunday 24 August 2008

Nothing better to do...

I recently broke my arm skating and as a result have acquired four pins and an artificial elbow in my right arm. Bad news. As a result, I have been signed off from work for a month. Good news. After several days of watching daytime talk shoes and eating dry cereal straight out of the box, I decided to look through some old skate photos on my computer and found these ones. Ah, the memories...


Back savannah in Irvine circa 2005. I love the way this photo fails to show the awful run up to the rail and the muddy puddle that lurked at the landing. Gotta love Scottish skate spots.


This photo was also taken in Irvine earlier that day. We randomly found this rail whilst talking through the town centre. There was a metal grill run up and smashed Buckfast bottles at the bottom of the stairs. Never let it be said that I don't love a challenge.


Switch alley oop unity at the art school in Glasgow. Back in the day you could prove your worth as a skater by doing the most simple of tricks down this rail. These days you are nothing if you can't land at least 20 variations down the damn thing. It's terrifying to think how much skating has progressed over the years. In the not too distant future, we will be hurling abuse at athletes who have full use of their limbs because they have not sacrificed enough for our sport. The future holds worrying prospects.


The Korean Real Street Championships in 2006. Korean people are incredible. They are by far the friendliest and most enthusiastic people I have ever met. It doesn't hurt that they are also willing to get completely wasted at the drop of a hat. Once the competition was over we headed to a bar and spent the night getting so drunk we forgot what happened that day. Good times.

Back torque at St. George's Cross in Glasgow. If you are a skater from the UK and you don't know what St. George's, I pity you. All the greats have thrashed the hell out of it: Chris Doughty, Dale Heenan, Gavin Nelson, Chaz Sands, Brian Adams. Need I go on?

No comments: