Sunday 24 August 2008

J.C. Rowe is hard work

Last year, Be-mag asked me to interview J.C. Rowe for an online feature. I was accustomed with interviewing pro skaters through my own efforts of numerous emails, phone calls and instant message chats. When Be-mag provided me with his details I was excited because I enjoy watching J.C.'s skating. More importantly, I was looking forward to doing less work because I had already completed the first hurdle, I had his contact details and I knew he was willing to do the interview. Hard part over... or so I thought.


It turns out J.C. Rowe is one of the most difficult people I have ever had to interview. You have to prize answers out of him with a crow bar. Everything I asked was either met with a one-word answer of one that did not have any reference to the question. It quickly became very frustrating and I soon regretted agreeing to the assignment.


Don't get me wrong. He is a nice guy. I'm just not very certain that his attention span is very long. In fact, that could be the most understated thing I have ever said about another human being in my life...


Speaking in Riddles- The J.C. Rowe Interview

J.C. Rowe is a self-aware enigma. Getting a straight answer out of him is like trying to get a sensible sentence out of a child plagued with a Ritalin addiction: It just doesn’t happen. Maybe it’s the copious amounts of Mountain Dew he consumes at an alarming rate. Maybe it’s that he just doesn’t want to give away the secrets locked away in his mind. Either way, the replies he provided proved to be interesting to say the least. One thing became painfully obvious: J.C. likes to go off on a tangent and say whatever it is that he feels is necessary. The Detroit native failed to clear up many of the mysteries that seem to surround him concerning spontaneous sponsor changes and his sudden rise to international recognition since his appearance in Dave Paine’s Videogroove 22. Could it be that the rapidly progressing urban wizard is a cunning composer of riddles? Only those close to him can truly know. All that is certain is that J.C. Rowe is an incredibly gifted athlete, and a very strange individual.

Several years ago, J.C. Rowe made the decision to move from his home state of Michigan and relocate half way across America to Wesminster, California. Like many skaters before him and many more that are sure to follow, he chose to follow his dreams and base himself closer to the heart of the industry in San Diego. However, he soon came to understand the grim realities that faced him as an aspiring pro skater.

“I first made plans to move out to California 5 years ago, although I had no idea what I was getting myself into. At that time there was still a good number of people making their living from skating. After a few years the industry was becoming smaller and less capable of providing a living for many pros. As people started doing other things and skating less, I began skating more and started showing up in magazines and videos. I knew how things were money-wise at this point, but it didn't matter. I was getting to do what I had always wanted to. I was living my dream. However, the pro skater life ended about 2 years ago when I realized I needed to get a job”

Despite the fact that J.C. Rowe has risen to international notoriety thanks to a memorable performance in Carl Sturgess’ epic Killerboots, there are still bills to pay and responsibilities to fulfill. Luckily, unlike many of his peers, J.C. was not naïve enough to believe he could simply survive on his endorsements alone and set out to find himself a stable form of income. However, he does hold a slight grudge against the fact that it does intrude on his cherished time spent on skates.

“At the moment I work in the office of a window tinting company. They do cars, buildings and houses. I run the automotive department. I work every Saturday, which is probably the only thing I don’t like. On a Saturday when everyone goes out skating, I'm busy talking to people about their cars. I have a full time job and a sold out pro wheel. Not bad, eh?”

Not bad indeed. J.C. is currently skating for Eulogy wheels, Fifty-50 frames, Sixwonsix clothing, Night hardware, Octona skateshop and Crap bearings: An impressive list of sponsors that not many of his fellow professionals can boast. The more observant of you will notice that there are two notable absences from that list of endorsements: Senate and Remz. J.C. became the topic of many debates among rollerblading fans everywhere when Eulogy suddenly released a pro wheel with his name on it. This came as a shock to many enthusiasts within the industry, as J.C. was widely regarded as the new face of Senate, under the guidance of veteran pro skater Kevin Gillan. It is unclear to this day if Senate has simply ceased trading or if the relationship between the two simply ceased to function. When asked what happened with Senate to prompt such a move, J.C. seemed reluctant to go into specifics. He simply said, “I guess I realized after a few months of intercepting and stealing Eulogy wheels that were supposed to be sent to my house for Rob G that I should make the switch myself, and tell Rob I owe him some wheels.”

This seemed like an extremely odd response considering in the short period of time J.C. has skated for the brand he has received two pro model wheels and previous interviews suggested that his relationship with team manager Kevin Gillan was really good. For the past six months J.C. has also been seen riding on Xsjados, which came as a surprise to many as he was a well known member of the Remz team and until recently featured heavily on their website with regular online edits. The fact that J.C. left Remz without any motive to ride for another company poses many questions. When asked what prompted the departure from a team that he seemed so suited to, J.C. replied, “Apparently there are no more Xsjados in my size anywhere. I wish didn't start liking a skate so much right before they became extinct.”

Eager to know if there had been a dispute with owner Kato or conflict with other members of the Remz team, I pushed J.C. for an answer but he seemed unwilling to provide one. Instead of saying why he left the team, he simply declared what weren’t the reasons for his departure. It is evident that J.C. prefers to keep certain aspects of his career as a pro skater private.


”I think everyone expects me to say ‘because I didn't get a pro skate’, which is stupid. Skating for Remz gave me the opportunity to do a lot of skating and travelling, which is more than I could have asked for. It didn't matter if I was going to ever get a pro model skate or even another paycheck for my skating, and it still doesn't. The reason I skate is for fun. That's why I started and that's why tomorrow on my day off I just want to go skating with my friends.”

If you have ever wondered what a normal day is like for J.C. Rowe then I am afraid you are going to have to continue wondering. When asked what J.C. usually does to keep his conscious hours occupied, he was more interested in detailing what he likes to fill his stomach with. However, he was gracious enough to give us the briefest insight into his life once he was done listing his favourite junk food indulgences.


”I have donuts and vitamin water for breakfast, hamburger or pizza for lunch, and usually pizza again for dinner. I drive an old Bimmer a few miles to work. I spend my spare time with my friends, or drawing and listening to music. Oh and I usually beat Chris in a couple games of pool, haha!”


J.C. Rowe tends to go off on tangents when faced with basic questions. It is difficult to assert whether or not this is due to the fact that he didn’t want to give out certain details or that his mind simply wandered off track at certain points during the interview. It doesn’t really matter either way. His skating ability is undeniable. Anyone who has witnessed J.C. in the flesh or viewed his astounding performances in Videogroove or Killerboots cannot deny that he is at the forefront of modern rollerblading. This is reflected by the fact that he has a sponsor list that many of his fellow professionals would envy. Look out for J.C. Rowe in the new Sixwonsix team video that is set for release very soon. If his last performances are anything to go by, it will certainly be a profile to be admired time and time again.



No comments: